I find it quite amusing how much time we spend wishing things were different to what they are. In the middle of summer on those stinking hot days we dream of winter and snuggling up under the doona at night. The moment the temperature drops and boots and woolies get pulled from our cupboards, we long for sunshine, summer clothes and the beach. Strange creatures aren’t we!!
So I thought I’d write a list of some of the things that I truly love about winter, since winter it is right now (at least where I live)!
- Being able to sleep at night without a fan buzzing above my head or the low whirring of the air conditioner.
- Feeling like I can give myself full permission to curl up on the couch all day if I want to and watch movies or the odd Netflix series – bring on Grace and Frankie. No guilt about ‘I should be outside enjoying the beautiful sunshine’.
- Chai – delicious hot never-ending cups of this heart warming beverage.
- Snow. While these magical flakes of liquid prettiness don’t fall where I live, I do love knowing that they are falling somewhere nearby. The ability to strap on a pair of skiis and disappear into peacefulness that is the mountains is my idea of a perfect day.
- Hot chips with chicken salt. I know it’s not good for me and I know you can actually eat these all year round but somehow they are just a tad more irresistible when its cold.
- An open fire – what’s not to love.
- Diving head first into a really good book – the bigger and longer and more epic the better.
- Long boots, scarves and woollen jumpers.
There are many many more things that make me smile during the colder months but a hot chai with my name on it is awaiting so me and my ugg boots are off now to indulge.